“A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives”. – Jackie Robinson
Simple deeds which we take for granted and term “insignificant” are some of the most powerful deeds that can cause extraordinary impacts in the world. These miracles cause ripple effects that transforms lives totally and completely for the best. How do I know this? I have experienced it.
I remember one time I was ill, some of the moments of strength I got were from some very simple actions I like to call “TINY MIRACLES”.
It could be just a sweet smile, a kind and thoughtful word, just been there by my side, just holding my hands, stroking my hair, just that look into my eyes to say though they did not fully understand my pains, but they were with me and I was going to be fine.
They could just hold me close, let me cry and then wipe my tears away. It could just be sweet kisses planted on my forehead, reading me stories, sharing fun memories with me, playing games with me …………. and so much more.
All these little “insignificant” actions said much more than words could possibly say. They helped me forget my pains at least if only for that moment; they gave me a sense of belonging and reasons to be strong and get well again. These little deeds made me feel “not alone”.
These simple actions goes to show that people love and care for us. It is such tiny miracles as I like to call them that speaks more than words. Remember the saying, “action speaks louder than words”? Well, this is it.
To those who may be neck deep in the throes of depression or suicidal or who are tired of the bitchiness of life and just want to end it all, such little seemingly “insignificant” acts could save someone’s life; such actions can make a difference.
Now, how can these “little insignificant actions” of ours impact so much on the world? Let’s see…..
- HUGS: If there is anything, any action that says so much more than words, it is a hug. Hugs, especially from the right people are superbly awesome and highly uplifting. It speaks volumes and brings mighty comfort to all. It is a welcome embrace that is all encompassing. A hug says,
- I love you
- I miss you
- I need you
- I will always be here for you
- Just let all your pain slip away
And the list can go on forever. Not everyone would understand what you are going through but a hug says it all. A hug can say a million things where words fail you.
Kathleen Keating says, “A hug makes you feel good all day” and I totally agree with Dan Pearce’s words, “Some moments can only be cured with a big squishy grandma hug.”
- Kind words: You can never overemphasize the value of kind words. They are a formidable source of power and encouragement to others. A kind word can change the lives of others. It doesn’t take much to do this but you would never believe the magnitude of impact it has. Lawrence G. Lovasik said, “Kind words are a creative force, a power that concurs in the building of all that is good and energy that showers blessings upon the world”.
Kind words work miracles and transforms lives positively as it magnifies the strong suits of others. A Turkish proverb says, “Kind words will unlock an iron door”.
It can work magic and have the most rippling effect. In complete agreement with the words of Frederick William Faber, “Kind words are the music of the world. They have a power which seems to be beyond natural causes, as if they were some angel’s song which had lost its way and come on earth, and sang on undying smiting the hearts of men with the sweetest wounds, and putting for the while an angel’s nature into us”. If you wouldn’t like to hear the words you dish out on others for yourself, don’t dish it out in the first place.
- Holding hands: This is very much like joining your strength with another to fight the battles and challenges of life. It is a promise of another to never let go and to always be there for you no matter what. Holding hands is a gentle reassurance that love is always there present. You don’t have to look far because it is right there with you.
Richelle E. Goodrich did say that “Nothing in this world compares to the comfort and security of having someone just hold your hand”. Holding hands says “I will join you in this fight and you will overcome”. Holding hands especially from a loved one has a soothing effect on the heart and it is a promise of togetherness always and forever in both good and bad times.
For lovers, it is the first physical contact that spells out intimacy. It is a romantic gesture that speaks volume. When you see two people in love, one of the first tell-tale signs is holding hands. It is a sign to the world that they have each other and are “unavailable”.
“After some time my husband reached over to hold my hand, which reminded me that at least there was this, at least we still had hands that remembered how to love each other, two bone-and-flesh flaps that hadn’t complicated their simple love by speaking or thinking or being disappointed or having memories. They just held and were held and that is all. Oh, to be a hand.” ― Catherine Lacey
Holding hands especially with a loved one, shows a special kind of connection that you do not have with other people. It strengthens the love bond.
As Vera Nazarian said, “Sometimes, reaching out and taking someone’s hand is the beginning of a journey. At other times, it is allowing another to take yours.”
In fact science has shown that this simple but yet powerful gesture releases the “hormone, Oxytocin which is termed as the “love hormone” from our brains. This hormone increases the feelings of trust, generosity and compassion and decreases feelings of fear and anxiety”.
- Stroking hair: This is another powerful way of passing messages to others. It is a way of saying “I am here for you”. It is also a wonderful romantic gesture loved so much by ladies. It implies intimacy, closeness, understanding and deeply expressed love.
- Forehead Kiss: This is one very “special” and common show of affection within family members especially parents to children and also among friends. It is a way to exhibit deep care, fondness and friendliness. It is a sign of respect and adoration for others. It is soothing and has amazing effects depending on who is giving the kiss and who is receiving it. Like the saying goes, “A kiss on the forehead is one of the sweetest things in the world”
For lovers, however, this amazing simple gesture goes without saying. It implies deep respect and care for the beloved. It says, “I respect you. I really care for you and I want to protect you”. Someone did say, “Guys who kiss girls on the forehead are the sweetest and best gentlemen you can ever have”.
This soothing sign of affection especially from a “special one” is like an eternal promise and hope to say, “I want us to stay together forever”. It is not a sign of lust or flirtation but one only filled with true love and the deepest respect.
M.F. Moonzajer said, “Every morning when I wake up, I kiss her forehead as symbol of gratitude and appreciation and she repays me back with a lovely smile.”
- SMILE: As the saying goes, “a smile is the most important gift you can wear”. In my last post, I talked excessively about this ,THE AMAZING SMILE APP which I would like to share in this blog post too. So, here goes….
THE AMAZING SMILE APP
So, there is this great and amazing app that works wonders. It has such great and incredible features and it’s super easy to use. It’s called the SMILE APP. Ever heard of it before? Sure you have. God installed it in every one of us but we don’t use it as much as we should. The awesome thing about this app is despite the fact it doesn’t cost a dime, it just as easily brightens your day as it does another and it has no downside.
This app changes your world. It instills in you so much self-confidence, positivity and the ability to believe in yourself. You suddenly feel you can do anything. It instigates you to get started on those procrastinated dreams and goals set a long while back. It makes life more wonderful as it gives you the power to color your world beautiful. It makes you rewrite your story.
Remember that quote, “Keep smiling and be happy. It drives people crazy”? That is another great feature of this app. It makes you feel untouchable – the power of the smile app. No matter how many lemons life throws at you, you don’t just cut it open and suck it dry… Naaaaa….You make lemonade. Take a chill pill and sip. A smile is the most beautiful gift you could give because it has the ability to change lives.
Because of your smile, someone may decide to give life another chance and let go of that suicide idea.
Because of your smile, someone may have hope again.
Because of your smile, the obstacles to achieving that goal is removed.
How so? You may wonder. It is because smile rubs off on others. It makes your world a happy one and this attracts others. It makes you more friendly, lovable and approachable. Most importantly, it makes you impact positively on the lives of others effortlessly.
Now, to activate this app,
- Make a slight pull upward until a curve is formed.
- Using the thumb and forefinger on one hand, separate the lips to show your teeth (optional)
- Drop your hands, leave the mouth in that upturned position and look at the mirror.
- How funny do you look? You think you look silly, right? Now, if for nothing else, smile genuinely at least for the funny goofy look on your face as you look in the mirror.
- App successfully activated. Enjoy.
- Wiping off someone’s tears: This is one of the sweetest and coolest gestures ever. Now, your friends and family may not know or understand the pains you go through but they are strong enough to wipe off your tears and assure you of their constant love, understanding and friendship. The gesture says, “I am here if you need to talk or a shoulder to lean on. I may not understand your pains but I would do anything to keep the tears from falling”.
This wonderful gesture says, “You are going to be fine”. “I believe so much in you”. “Cry all you want. There is no judgement here. I am here for you”. As an unknown author beautifully puts it, “I will hold you up when you can’t stand, I will wipe away your tears when you cry, and I will fight for you when you give up and I will love you forever and always”.
- Reading to someone: Reading is one sure way to get someone’s mind off pain and miseries. Reading to someone is a great gesture which shows that you have time enough to go on an exciting journey with them in books. It shows you care enough to want to bring the person many more moments of happiness and love. Especially to the older ones, this is one gesture truly appreciated by most.
- A Reassuring look or words: No matter what you are going through, the reassuring words from another, “You will be fine”, “Everything is going to be alright”, is like great medicine. Sometimes all we need to have a brighter day or live a better life is an understanding that you are not alone in this world and that no matter what, everything is going to be fine. A reassuring look from a dear friend or loved one works wonders and could even be more powerful than medicine.
- Sharing fun memories: As Joseph B. Wirthlin did say, “Some memories are unforgettable, remaining ever vivid and heartwarming”. Helping another relieve great memories shared is one fun way to spend time with another. It helps the person realize that, that moment wasn’t only important to them but to you as well. Laugh about the past and commend yourselves on how much you have grown and matured. It is spirit lifting and beautiful.
Amazing right? How these little deeds can create astonishing impacts in the lives of others.
The list is endless. Add yours….. What little deeds do you think or have you experienced that left a lasting impression on you?